The Knight’s Herb: Thyme Magical Properties and Uses — Magical Herbs
The Magic of Thyme
"A young maiden, in love, carefully and attentively embroiders a small bee hovering above a sprig of thyme onto the scarf of the knight she has chosen to be her protector, in hopes it will provide him protection as well, and grant him courage...."
Thyme's magic is...well, timeless. In Ancient Greece thyme was infused into baths, and in Greek temples the smoke from thyme incense was used to spread courage. Egyptians would embalm their dead using thyme, and the Europeans would place it in coffins to help the dead pass on to the next world.
During the blight of the Black Plague in the 1300s, thyme was used to protect against the disease, and thyme was a major ingredient in many medicinal concoctions. The Victorian era gave life to the belief that a patch of wild thyme in the woods meant that fairies were nearby.
Thyme is a powerful and popular herb for magical practice. It offers protection, but more notably is well-known for its power to grant courage. Warriors of old would stuff thyme in the shoes or wear it as a badge of honor.
Shop Related Products
Thyme Magical Correspondences
- Botanical Name: Thymus Vulgaris
- Folk Names: Common Thyme, Garden Thyme
- Gender: Feminine
- Planet: Venus
- Element: Water
- Power: Health, Sleep, Psychic Powers, Love, Purification, Courage, Prosperity, Fairies
13 Magical Ways to Use Thyme
Thyme is powerful in healing spells, and you can burn or wear thyme to attract good health.
Thyme can be placed underneath your pillow to encourage restful sleep and keep nightmares at bay.
Wear thyme to increase psychic abilities, and it can also be worn by women to make them alluring.
To see fairies, you can wear thyme, and plant thyme in your garden to encourage fairies to dwell there.
Burn thyme to purify your ritual space, as the Greeks burned thyme to purify their temples.
In the spring, you can ritually cleanse past sorrows and regrets by taking a bath with thyme and marjoram.
Be sure to enjoy thyme’s aroma as it can give you courage and energize you, and warriors of the past bathed in thyme to give them bravery.
Use thyme in spell work when facing an intimidating goal and also to help you maintain positive energy.
Thyme can be used in household cleaners to disinfect, and keeping thyme in your clothes draw will keep moths away.
Thyme is often used as a smudging herb, and the word “thyme” translates in Greek to mean “fumigate.” Smudging your home with thyme can help dispel negative emotions and the sadness that comes after losing a loved one.
Thyme has amazing antiseptic properties, and the Sumerians used it to this end.
Thyme can be used to increase wealth and good fortune, and as thyme grows in your garden, so should your wealth.
It is used in games of chance to increase luck.
Shop: Inspired by Thyme
What are Your Thoughts on the Magic of Thyme?
What do you think about Thyme and its wonderful, magical properties? Do you have any other creative ideas on powerful ways to use this plant? Is there an herb or plant you would like us to discuss? What bring you to this article today? We'd love to hear from you!
You Might Also Like...
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and do not render medical or psychological advice, opinion, diagnosis, or treatment. The information provided through this website should not be used for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disease. It is not a substitute for professional care. If you have or suspect you may have a medical or psychological problem, you should consult your appropriate health care provider. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. Links on this website are provided only as an informational resource, and it should not be implied that we recommend, endorse or approve of any of the content at the linked sites, nor are we responsible for their availability, accuracy or content.
- "Witchipedia." Thyme -. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Aug. 2016.
- "Herb Analysis: Thyme, the Herb of Courage." Magical Recipes Online. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Aug. 2016.
- Cunningham, Scott. Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs. St. Paul, MN: Llewellyn Publications, 1985. Print.
- A Brief History of Thyme. [online] HISTORY.com. Available at: http://www.history.com/news/hungry-history/a-brief-history-of-thyme [Accessed 26 Feb. 2018].
- Magical Recipes Online. (2018). Herbal Magic of Thyme - Magical Recipes Online. [online] Available at: https://www.magicalrecipesonline.com/2012/06/herbal-magic-of-thyme.html [Accessed 26 Feb. 2018].
- En.wikipedia.org. (2018). Thyme. [online] Available at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thyme [Accessed 26 Feb. 2018].
- Classroom.synonym.com. (2018). Herbs for Spiritual Cleansing | Synonym. [online] Available at: https://classroom.synonym.com/herbs-for-spiritual-cleansing-12081481.html [Accessed 26 Feb. 2018].
- Herbal Riot. (2018). Magickal Uses of Thyme. [online] Available at: http://herbalriot.tumblr.com/post/53114381490/magickal-uses-of-thyme [Accessed 29 Mar. 2018].
- Our Herb Garden. (2018). Thyme. [online] Available at: http://www.ourherbgarden.com/herb-history/thyme.html [Accessed 29 Mar. 2018].