The Magic of Sage
Sage is an herb that is favored in magical and spiritual practice -- and for good reason. The plant has a plethora of powerful magical applications. Among the myriad of energies Sage embodies, it is associated with protection, purification, immortality and mourning, as well as wisdom and the granting of wishes.
Sage most notably corresponds with wisdom and mental clarity. This attribute is further expressed by the fact that Sage is represented by the element of Air and has Jupiter as its planetary association, both of which deal with matters of the mind and thought.
Even back to the 1500s, Sage was believed to improve brain function. Herbalist John Gerard in Herball, a book on botany, referred to Sage as "singularly good for the head and brain, it quickeneth the senses and memory."
Simply sniffing a sage leaf has been shown to improve mental clarity. Ingesting sage has benefits for mental processes as well. A little sage left to dry on your altar space can help clear the mind and ready it for magical workings.
Place some sage at the base of a blue candle and burn the candle to dispel melancholy and mental malaise. Sage also offers its power to protect the mind from negative energies, making it especially effective in driving off nightmares when placed under the pillow.
Shop: Inspired by Sage
It's not surprising that Sage is associated with immortality, considering all of the curative and healing ability it contains. A popular Italian proverb states, "Why should a man die who has Sage in his garden?" Sage's scientific name, Salvia, comes from the Latin Salveo, which means "to heal" or "to save," and its close resemblance to the word "salve" is no coincidence.
There is an Old English superstition that if you eat Sage everyday in the month of May, you will live forever. Whether or not this is true has yet to be determined, but eating Sage can contribute to many health benefits that may help you live longer, such as improved immunity, defense against chronic disease, and prevention of diabetes.
Sage is also associated with mourning and the passage of life. Burning sage at funerals and in the home after the passage of a loved one can help with the healing and overcoming of grief. A mojo bag with Sage in it can also help towards this end.
Have a wish that you would like to see fulfilled? Write your wish on a sage leaf and tuck the leaf under your pillow. If you have dreams about that wish for the next three days, it is said that the wish will come true. Sage can also be used in procurement of abundance and prosperity. A mojo bag with a little sage in it does wonders towards this end.
What are Your Thoughts on the Magic of Sage?
What do you think about Sage and its wonderful, magical properties? Do you have any other creative ideas on powerful ways to use this plant? Is there an herb or plant you would like us to discuss? What bring you to this article today? We'd love to hear from you!
You Might Also Like...
- Witchipedia.com. (2018). Sage - Witchipedia. [online] Available at: http://www.witchipedia.com/herb:sage [Accessed 3 Feb. 2018].
- Moody Moons, (2018). 10 Magickal Uses for Sage. [online] Moody Moons. Available at: https://moodymoons.com/2016/03/07/10-magickal-uses-for-sage/ [Accessed 3 Feb. 2018].
- Grove and Grotto. (2018). Magickal properties of Sage. [online] Available at: https://www.groveandgrotto.com/blogs/articles/magickal-properties-of-sage [Accessed 3 Feb. 2018].
- En.wikipedia.org. (2018). Salvia officinalis. [online] Available at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_officinalis [Accessed 3 Feb. 2018].
- Organic Facts. (2018). 9 Impressive Benefits of Sage | Organic Facts. [online] Available at: https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/herbs-and-spices/sage.html [Accessed 3 Feb. 2018].